Saturday, July 30, 2011

MTV's Take on Adoption

I don't usually watch MTV and until last week, I had never seen a single episode of either Teen Mom or 16 &  Pregnant.  But when I was setting up my DVR for my run of Sunday night television (The Glee Project, In Plain Sight, and Food Network Star), I stumbled across the episode of 16 & Pregnant featuring Catelynn and Tyler.  Admittedly, I only recorded it when I saw that the couple were making plans for an adoption plan, and was skeptical that anything related to MTV would treat the subject seriously.

Much to my surprise, I laughed, I cried, I cringed, and I cheered.  I was humbled by the maturity of Catelynn and Tyler.  The choices that they made, how they dealt with them and their support for each other was only eclipsed by their obvious love for their daughter. 

Sitting on the other side of the profile letter, I have given thought to the expectant parents' thought processes, but seeing how they made the decisions they did, and their struggles with the grief process really served as a learning process for me.  I was amazed by their ability to feel the pain of loss and not allow it to overrule a decision that they truly believed was best.

Humbling.

No comments:

Post a Comment