Thursday, August 11, 2011

Putting the "Active" in Actively Waiting Part 1: Do Something!

Ask anyone who has been through IVF what the hardest part was and they'll probably tell you the dreaded two week wait.  It's the time after the procedure where you are injecting viscous oily hormones into your backside with a big long needle while you over-analyze every twinge, pain, and flutter of your body trying to determine whether the little embryos burrowed in and are growing.  There is nothing you can do but wait. And though it only takes two weeks, it feels like it has taken years by time you either break down and pee on a stick or stand strong and go in for your blood test.

Needless to say, it was the waiting that caused me the greatest struggle.

So now, we're in the same position.  Waiting.  Though this time it is actually labeled "actively waiting" which makes me chuckle.  But in reality, something I thought was just an ironic little label is actually an instruction.  I need to be active during my wait, or else I will drive Troy totally batty (and he's the most patient person I know...what does that say about me?)

So I need a hobby or to take up a sport.  Actually, I just need to find something to do with myself until I can be immersed in football and marching band.  Once the Fighting Irish, the Colts and PuntersArePeopleToo (my fantasy football team) kick off and the marching musicians hit the field, time will simply fly.  But until then, I need to do something.


I'm not a particularly athletic person.  You know that dart player guy in the Zoosk commercial (chicka-KOW)?  Well, I'm not even that skilled.  I have poor balance, no grace, little strength and a right ankle that is probably held together with chicken wire and duct tape and which sprains if you look at it funny (see, there it goes!).  But (on most days) even I can walk, can't I?  And if you add a backpack, high topped boots, a trekking pole and reduce the path from a four foot wide cement ribbon to a twelve inch wide winding and uneven dirt footpath, well then it becomes a sport!  I'm finally an athlete!  Well, at least as much as that dart player is!

So off we go, visiting the quiet forests, scenic lake shores and dried creek beds of southern Indiana's hill country.  It feels good to accomplish something concrete, something quantifiable.  To do something physical and challenging that makes your muscles ache and your blood hum.  And a nice little walk in the woods, of say 10 miles, well, it does a little something for the soul, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment