Saturday, December 3, 2011

After 11 Years...

November 25th marked our 11th anniversary, and as I write this, I can see a framed photo from that day and marvel at how young we looked.  And how young we were.  And how right this was back then and how right it continues to be.

Last year, we took on the biggest physical challenge of our lives (to date).  The 500 Festival Mini-Marathon became a metaphor for our marriage.  We started out together, eager and optimistic.  As the walk continued, we allowed each other to set our own pace.  We were still in close proximity and shared encouraging smiles over the short distance.  We met back up at the most difficult part of the journey, the 2 1/2 mile trek around the Indianapolis Motor Speedway's banked track, and encouraged each other and talked to keep our minds off our hip and back pain.  Then, as I started to slow down, I demanded Troy continue on.  I wasn't confident of finishing and I refused to keep him from reaching his goal.  He went forward, but stopped occasionally and waited until I met up with him to make sure that I was still moving and to encourage me to continue on.  And as I came into sight of the finish line, there he was, pacing just short of the timing strip, waiting to take my hand so that we could finish together.

After 11 years...

Towers have fallen, unemployment has risen. 

Wars have begun and been promised to end. 

Elections have been contested and elections have been historic.

The Colts survived a run back of a kick off in a Super Bowl win and perished by an on-side kick in a Super Bowl loss. 

Friday Night Lights has come and gone.

And still we have each other.

1 comment: